Monday, May 3, 2010

orange rolls


for the rolls:


1/2 cup water

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (.25 oz package)

1 egg

1/3 cup butter, softened

1 teaspoon salt

3 3/4 cups bread flour


For the filling:


1 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup butter, softened

zest of two oranges

For the glaze:

3 oz cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup butter, softened

1 1/2 cup powdered sugar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

juice of 1/2 orange

1/8 teaspoon salt


in a small saucepan, heat the milk and water until the mixture

reaches 120 degrees. pour the mixture into the bowl of a

stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. add the sugar and yeast and

let sit until the mixture bubbles (around 10 minutes).

with the mixer on medium low speed, add the egg, butter,

salt and flour. mix for 8 minutes. the dough will be slightly sticky.

lightly grease a medium bowl. add the dough, and turn to

coat the top. cover with a towel and let the dough rise in a warm

place for one hour.

punch down the dough and cover again with the towel while you

mix together the filling ingredients.

turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll into a
25 x 6 inch rectangle
(you may want to split this into two 13 x 6 inch rectangles).
spread with the filling mixture. roll up the dough and pinch
together. slice into 24 one inch slices and place on a baking sheet.
cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise in a warm place
for about 45 minutes.
preheat the oven to 350°. bake for 20-25 minutes, until the tops
of the rolls begin to brown. while the rolls bake, whisk together the
icing ingredients until smooth. remove the rolls from the oven and
slather with the icing.

4 comments:

  1. OMG! These sound do good! You must be quite the cook. I think I gained 5 lbs. just reading your blog-LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...Jaydee...I haven't been in the blog world hopping around to see that you have a new home. I'm so excited for your Cookin' in the Dark. I love recipes old and new, especially from a friend who I know will post those delicious temptations that I will love forever. I'm so blessed to have met you in this world of the computer screen. Maybe someday we will really get to meet up with each other. Come to Utah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. These sound delicious. Thanks for the comment on my cake. And everyones opinions are worth something. Well at least when it is something nice about my cake. ;) I am your newest follower. I can't edit to read more and try these rolls!
    ::kristin::

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the recipes. Thanks for the comment.I am glad my post could help you today.

    ReplyDelete